I went to the office to see if I could get a class list with addresses. I introduced myself to the new secretary. I never start the year with a full list and it seems like I will be doing just that this year. I have 15 students, 9 of whom have a disability and 6 who are "typically" developing. My ratio is supposed to be 7 and 8, with the idea that the kids who are typically developing serve as models for the other students. It is hard for the students with disabilities to find models if there are fewer "typically" developing students in the classroom with them and that partially defeats the point of the program. Of those 15 students, 12 are boys. There are 21 students currently enrolled in Pre-K and I have 15 of them? That means that between my two other grade level colleagues, they have 6. Something is not right about that math to me.
When I looked through the master list, I noticed that one of my former students who was discharged from special education at the end of last year was placed in a substantially separate classroom. A similar thing happened last year and it was a huge fiasco at the beginning of the school year. I wrote to the principal when I got home to explain the situation and hopefully avoid a similar conflict.
All of this is tiring and frustrating. It makes me nervous for the start of the year. My goal was to work in that building for five years but days like this make me question the validity of my goal.
Hoping it gets better and goes smoother from here on out.